Does UKRI know about your Horizon 2020 project? (Treasury Guarantee update)
The UK Government issued an EU funding Guarantee back in 2016, as a consequence of the EU referendum result, which would come into effect in the event of a ‘No Deal’ Brexit. The HM Treasury Guarantee will underwrite successful Horizon 2020 applications applied for before the end of 2020 and offers a commitment to UK participants to safeguard funding for research and innovation projects.
Since the original announcement Scottish Businesses, Universities and the Public Sector have continued to apply successfully to the Horizon 2020 programme, – securing over €350 million more in funding for research and innovation projects (reaching €670m in total).
With the EU and UK agreeing an extension to the Brexit negotiations (up until the 31st January 2020) the UK continues to be a Member State and has full access to the Horizon 2020 programme until this status changes.
What action do I need to do?
Should the UK leave the EU without a Deal, then UK organisations will no longer receive funding directly from EU programmes. The guarantee ensures that UK organisations can continue to receive funding over a project’s lifetime if they successfully bid into EU-funded programmes before the end of 2020.
UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) will become responsible for administering H2020 equivalent funding in the event of a ‘No Deal’. To prepare for its delivery UK grant holders need to register any new or ongoing projects with UKRI. This is done via a dedicated portal and by registering your project you will:
- Ensure that UKRI know that your organisation may need to use the guarantee (and for how many projects).
- Ensure that UKRI has the correct contact to details to provide updates on the guarantee and importantly guidance to grant holders what information / documentation may be required.
How long does it take?
Registration will only take 5 minutes and all you need is:
- Grant agreement number
- Your organisation’s Participant Identification Code (PIC)
- Type of action i.e. the funding scheme you applied for.
- Project name
- Project start and finish date
- EU funding contribution for above project (EUR)
- If your organisation is coordinating the project
HM Treasury Page: